- To foster and encourage research on pain mechanisms and pain syndromes and to help improve the management of patients with acute and chronic pain by bringing together the basic scientists and health professionals of various disciplines and backgrounds who have an interest in pain research and management.
- To promote education and training in the field of pain.
- To promote and facilitate the dissemination of new information in the field of pain.
- To promote and sponsor regional scientific and educational meetings.
- To encourage the adoption of a uniform classification, nomenclature, and definition regarding pain and pain syndromes.
- To encourage the development of local, regional, and possibly even national and international data banks, and to encourage the development of a uniform records system, with respect to information relating to pain mechanisms, syndromes, and management.
- To inform the general public of the results and implications of current research in the area of pain.
- To advise national, regional, and local agencies and institutions on standards relating to the use of drugs, appliances, and other procedures in the therapy of pain.
- To engage in such other activities as may be incidental to or in furtherance of the aforementioned purposes.